Sunday, August 31, 2008

What I did on Thursday...


Thursday was the grand opening of our newest dollar store. Being the cheapskate that I am, and being in the mood for fall, I decided to embark on a creative project which I wasn't convinced would be...shall we say...passable. After all, the ingredients for my project were from...well...the cheapest place around! Undaunted by the underwhelming price of my components, I threw myself into a project to create a front door wreath.


I started with a wreath base and four fall leaf garlands. One by one I tucked the end of the garland into the wreath and wrapped it around the wreath til i got to the other end, tucking that into the wreath base as well. I took two picks with little gourds and pumpkins on them, and tucked those into the base, then made a bow with the 3 feet of wired fall ribbon that I had just purchased at Dollar Tree. At this point I needed to snip off a little piece of floral wire to tie the ribbon onto the wreath. Unfortunately, in my short-sightedness, I did not take pictures of the process. After all, I thought this whole idea could potentially be a big flop! To my delight, the wreath turned out great and I promptly displayed it on my front door. My cost: $8. The whole thing took about 15 minutes (and would have taken less time except that I couldn't find the floral wire!) Can't beat that with a stick!

22 comments:

The Quilt Shoppe said...

Carolyn -
I think a trip to the Dollar Store might be in order. It's beautiful!

Lisa said...

Carolyn ~

No you can't beat that with a stick. It turned out amazing. I love it and the Dollar Store too. It's one of my fav places to go.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com
www.palepinkandroses.typepad.com

Susan said...

Aha...a new DQ in the making.
Susan *dutchrose*

Shabby in Pink Boutique said...

I love the wreath. I made my mom a few last week for her house. She loved them.
Pink Hugs,
Stephanie

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

LOL..it's amazing what a few items and some creativity can do...looks fabulous and like you paid big bucks for it.

(())

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Great deal Carolyn! I can't wait for fall.

gail said...

Hi Carolyn,,, You did an awesome job on your wreath, its so pretty. I love the color of your door too. I love the dollar store, they are the best.I loved your newsletter, ya did a great job...luv, gail

Susan - My Vintage Charm said...

Hi Carolyn,

Creativity at it's best!! It turned out great and looks lovely on your door! Money well spent!

cathy said...

You did a great job Carolyn! You'd never know that was Dollar Store stuff.

Carol at Clutter Bug Studio said...

Carolyn, too funny and what a great wreath!

Inka Thomas said...

Carolyn, That turned out really good! I want to get my fall stuff out but it would get blown away today.
Inka

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Carolyn, I am a Dollar Store junkie too. It's amazing what you can find there. Your wreath looks just beautiful!
Carrie

Andie-The Brown Bee said...

Carolyn I LOVE my Dollar Tree! Your wreath turned out perfectly! xoxo

Flowerchild Clay Queen Angel Heart Designs said...

Carolyn...I love those stores, and your creation is adorable!LOL..glad you like the cupcakes..
Cindy:)

Patricia said...

Let's not be downing the dollar stores now! I love them. Great wreath, great price, new product?

Pat

Silena said...

Well, see you later, Carolyn...I'm off to the dollar store!! Your wreath is just beautiful...I clicked to enlarge, because I could not believe that it was so lovely, and was so pleasantly surprised that it was even more beautiful enlarged. You did a marvelous job....thanks for sharing!!

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Carolyn,

What a great job done on the fall wreath! It just looks beautiful!

Pei Li

Shell said...

Hey dw,
That wreath is so pretty! You did a great job on just a few buckies.
Have a fun week.
Hugs,
Shell dw

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Carolyn, the wreath is fabulous!! I’m sooo ready for the fall and some cooler temperatures. Have a great week!
;o) Helene

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Carolyn, the wreath is fabulous!! I’m sooo ready for the fall and some cooler temperatures. Have a great week!
;o) Helene

Janet Bernasconi said...

Carolyn,

The wreath is amazing! Wow...and what a great price too. Love your creativity. Have a great week!
xxoo
Janet
Janet's Creative Pillows

Debbie said...

Carolyn.....your wreath is very pretty....way to go!

xo,
Debbie

Scented Pinecone Sachets

Scented Pinecone Sachets
Hand-dipped